Sunday, 31 October 2010

Have you sprained your ankle?

Hey dancers or dance fans,

I have just recovered from an injury. I sprained my ankle from dancing in heels Friday night. It was painful to walk the very next day. I struggled to put weight on my foot.

However the main purpose of this post is to guide people to recover from a sprained ankle and also help quicken the process so it does not take weeks and months to return back to normal.

It is important to follow the rice method if you want to recover- Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. You must always rest your foot and keep it elevated at all times. Do not try to walk on the damaged foot if you want to avoid any further damage. Also Ice must be placed onto the damaged area but it must not have contact with your skin. Place a towel or a piece of cloth around the ice. You must leave it on for no longer than 20-30 minutes every 3 hours. You must also place an elastic bandage onto the foot and it must not be too tight so it does not affect the blood circulation.

I hope people can benefit from this post. I am happy that I do not need to rest anymore. I can get back to my studies and focus on my dancing again. I believe that injuries are to do with the mind. If you do not toughen up- you will be injured for weeks.

However, I have noticed that when I walk, my leg and foot is not as strong as it used to be. Both my knee and ankle was weak and I have realised I have to perform strengthening exercises in order to strengthen the ligaments. Below I will write a list of strengthening exercises from the internet to keep me on track which may helpful to those who have suffered from an injury.

Strengthen the knees


 Sit on a chair or any sturdy object and extend the leg until knee is locked in position. Be sure the other foot is firmly on the floor and that the back is straight. Hold in position for 20 to 30 seconds and then return the leg to the floor. Repeat 3 to 4 times with same leg. Then repeat the process with the other leg. If any pain is felt, stop and consult a physician
.
Strengthen the ankles

Releves are great for strengthening the ankles. Stand in parallel and raise onto the balls of the feet, repeat until your feet are tired. This exercise is also known as toe raises.


Now that I have finally done my research, I can now try out these strengthening exercises hopefully they will work in time for my dance assessment tomorrow after not dancing for a week. I am very nervous. Wish me luck please :) thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Awww I hope you're fully recovered Hun. Thanks for the tips on how to make a speedy recovery - I didn't know that ice wasn't suppose to directly come in contact with the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owww! I hope you recover soon! Hey tks again for the visit to my blog. I follow you and you follow me? Deal? hehehe ;P
    wwww.lucyintheskywithfashionblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete